Pages

March 27, 2011

The Humble Terrycloth Square

Today being Sunday meant it was laundry day in this household. Hoorah. Actually, I don't dislike the task of doing laundry, I just wish I could eliminate the 2 flights of stairs between the laundry area and our bedroom. At any rate, today was the day to restock the linen closet with towels, sheets and facecloths. For the record, a bath sheet (the big one) is the best sized towel to greet you when finished with a shower or bath (or hot tub soak).


Lovely neatly folded towels

As I was folding facecloths - and yes, everything needs to be folded JUST right - it struck me that I go through a lot of faceclothes in the run of a week. I can only use a facecloth once. Maybe it is because I look at the small square of terrycloth as a dirt-remover but once used, the faceloth is dried on the towel bar and tossed in the laundry hamper once dry.

I don't know how many people do or don't use them regularly, but I cannot wash my face without one. As a child, my mother would sometimes bring me a warm damp facecloth in the morning to help wake me up for the day. To me, there is nothing more sensory-awakening than a warm faceloth in my hands/on my face first thing in the morning.

I have been known to travel (even to friends houses) with my own facecloth and a baggie to bring it home damp to then dry and launder. To this end, I own 31 facecloths. Yes I counted them. They are all in various stages of wear and I look forward to getting nice new ones (hey family... gift idea, hint hint) and retiring old ones but honestly I love them all. Yeah, I'm having a moment about my faceloths. Welcome to my exciting world.

It makes me wonder how many people use facecloths like I do. I know a lot of people that don't stock them in their linen closets (hence why I travel with my own sometimes) but to me I can't imagine it. To those that don't use them, honestly how do you wash your face? Splash water on your face to get cleanser/soap off? If I could be enlightened I'd be grateful.

Anyhow, while I did get multiple loads of laundry washed/dried/not put away (I'm not a machine) I managed to finish the 365 page novel I started this morning. It wasn't anything moving or stellar, it was just a piece of literary fluff with just a wee bit of smut mixed in for good measure, but it held my attention all day and it was kinda nice to read a whole novel in one day... something I haven't done in ages!

Hope you all had a happy Sunday!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note!