Pages

November 11, 2011

Take time to Remember...

Every day, brave men and women in our military risk their lives in the name of freedom as so many have done before. In time of war, lives are lost. Too many lives lost. The honour and bravery displayed by members of our Canadian Armed Forces is applauded and remembered today.

Whether going to a Remembrance Day service at a cenotaph or watching a service on television, I always take time on November 11th to pay my respects and say a prayer of gratitude. I always cry too. The music never fails to get to me. The ceremonial gathering of aging veterans in uniform with expressions of both sadness and pride makes my heart ache. I figure making time to express my thanks for their servitude is the least I can do.

One of my favourite bands (The Trews) came out with a song called Highway of Heroes that gets me every time. Take a listen, and take a moment to be grateful for our freedom.



And in the words of Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from falling hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note!